(adapted from Cooking Light)
the original recipe called for asparagus and peas. i didn’t have either on hand (hubby doesn’t like asparagus anyways); instead i used broccoli and green beans, as that is what i had from the farmers market. so if you do like and/or have asparagus and peas, use those instead. or, if you really like veggies, add all four! (whoa! gettin’ kinda crazy over here with all these veggies!). other veggies could very easily be substituted or added in. i decided to start with the basic this time.
8 oz. rotini, penne, fettucine, or linguine (i had tri-colored rotini on hand)
1 broccoli crown, chopped into bit-size pieces
½ – 1 lb. fresh green beans, diced (hubby doesn’t care too much for green beans so i cut them really small. but you could leave them whole or just cut in half)
1 c. chicken or vegetable stock
1 ½ tsp. cornstarch
1 T. butter
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
½ c. half and half
juice of 1 lemon
½ c. shredded parmesan or asiago cheese
freshly ground pepper
a dash or two of cayenne powder
1) cook pasta according to instructions. drain; set aside.
2) in skillet, saute veggies in olive oil until desired cruchiness (or mushiness, as the case may be. if you prefer it on the mushy side, add some broth to steam them a bit). place into separate bowl and set aside.
3) whisk together broth and cornstarch; set aside.
4) add butter to skillet over medium/medium-high heat. add garlic; saute until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. add broth mixture. bring to a boil; cook until thickened, stirring constantly. add cream and lemon juice. stir with whisk to combine; remove from heat.
5) add cheese and stir until melted. stir in veggie mixture. add pasta and toss to combine. serve with shredded parmesan cheese on top.