(adapted from cooking light)
5 lbs. orange sweet potatoes
1 large egg
1/2 c. half-and-half
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. honey
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 T. butter
1/2 c. flour (i used my 1/2 wheat-1/2 white mixture)
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 c. finely chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 375°.
1) peel potatoes. cut into 1-in sized cubes.
2) place in dutch oven pot. cover with water. bring to a boil. reduce heat; simmer for 15 minutes. drain
3) in a large mixing bowl, lightly beat egg. add half-and-half through nutmeg. whisk until combined. add potatoes and butter. beat with an electric mixture until smooth. spoon into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
4) combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. add butter. using a pastry blender or two knives in a criss-cross motion, cut butter into mixture until resembles coarse pea-sized meal.
stir in pecans; sprinkle topping over casserole, covering completely.
5) cover and bake for 15 minutes. uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until topping is browned.
and if you are anything like me, you will promptly scrape the topping off and, in a very lady-like manner of course, shovel it straight into your mouth. streusel and cobbler toppings are my weakness.